Monday, April 11, 2016
Every morning when I remix a color I record the change in a master journal (shown above). I also record all major rule changes in that book. I rarely look back at the changes, but putting them down on paper helps to cement them in my memory. Major changes are only made when I am anxious to try a new technique or when an old one doesn't seem to be producing the results I want.
I started using the book in 2003 after I resumed work on the Map. The first entry, dated 11/5/03, read, "Finished sheets will no longer be copied onto labels. Gen II water sheets will be painted rather than collaged w/label."
Monday, April 4, 2016
Every morning when I start work in the studio I draw a card. The 23 above was the first card I turned over today. It directed me, 23 places down the current stack of panels, to the one shown above, S5/W12. Both the card and the panel were posted on Twitter.
Both of the instructions on the card were disregarded as inapplicable. There were not yet 9 collaged squares on that panel. So, a new airlane was not created. And, since the entire sheet had already been painted the "paint as previous" instruction did not apply.
What I did do was to collage 23 squares to match, as closely as possible, the underlying colors. I worked counter-clockwise since the card was a red suit. I started at the crosshairs of the sheet. When I reached the lower right corner I ran into collage work that had been done previously. That meant that I had to continue on the next sheet down, S6/W12. The final two squares were collaged on that sheet (not shown).
I finished work on this panel by drawing in the parrallelogram centered on the crosshairs and putting Map dates on a few of the squares.